SALEM Engineering Group, Inc. is a multi-disciplined consulting firm providing services in Geotechnical, Environmental, and Forensic Engineering; Engineering Geology; Construction Inspection; and, Materials Testing. Our experienced and highly qualified staff of engineers, geologists, environmental assessors, scientists and construction inspection professionals brings a responsive team-oriented approach to project management.
We are looking for an experienced Staff Engineer to support projects related to Geotechnical Engineering, Material Testing and Special Inspections. This is a mid-level opportunity for a dynamic individual looking for career growth in Civil Engineering. The person in this position may be responsible for:
- Performing field investigations for geotechnical projects under specific work instructions. This includes scheduling field work for specific scopes of work provided by senior colleagues, executing the field work, and understanding health and safety issues associated with the work. Field work may include geotechnical drilling and sampling, visual field reconnaissance, and soil and rock logging.
- Performing engineering analyses using hand and computer based tools under senior direction.
- Performing construction observation services under senior direction. This work includesobservation and documentation of geotechnical construction activities, performing in-situ density testing of engineered fill, and observation and testing of other geotechnical construction, along with Special Inspections as required by the local jurisdiction.
- Assisting with the preparation of technical reports, including writing sections of reports, preparing figures and tables, and working with drafting and reproduction staff to produce final reports under senior direction.
- Engaging in geotechnical engineering assessments, analyses, and designs.
- The work will include various aspects of geotechnical engineering, such as shallow and deep foundations, earth retaining structures, liquefaction and other geotechnical hazard evaluations, grading, dams, tunnels, and roads performed for various projects, including oil and gas, pipeline, mining, transportation, land development, and solid waste projects.
- Specific analyses may include slope stability, liquefaction potential, allowable bearing capacity, foundation settlement, and design of pile foundations.
- Performing other engineering activities as directed.
For a candidate to be successful in this role, they must:
- Have strong analytical skills, communication skills and a solid understanding of soil mechanics;
- Be a quick learner, enthusiastic, proactive and responsive;
- Have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering;
- Be willing to travel and work in various site conditions and project locations;
- Have competence in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) for presentation of written work is necessary;
- Have a clean driving record;
- Have initiative to understand the purpose of individual tasks and how they relate to overall project objectives; and
- Have experience as an Engineer In Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE).
Experience with Aggregates, Asphalt, Concrete, and Soils (ASTM and C-DOT Procedures) is a plus.
Experience with Special Inspections and Material Testing (ICC Certificate in Soils, Masonry, Reinforced Concrete, and Structural Steel and Bolting) is highly valued.